Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Full Circle

The bill came in the mail the other day for our frozen embryo storage.  It costs $360 a year to store our two little embies.  360, full circle.  Basically a dollar a day.  It's less than I thought it was going to be.  It's weird to be paying for a bill like that - as if we're storing our holiday decorations or furniture we can't fit in our place. We're storing potential people.  Weird.

And it brings me to what I've been thinking about a lot lately.  What are we going to do with those two little guys?  At this time, we aren't interested in another baby.  I realize that could change, but we're very happy with our one little baby girl and life is very manageable both logistically and financially.  Another baby?  We can't imagine it. 

Then there's those two embryos.  What to do?  I can't thow them away.  Russ says we should donate them to an infertile couple (not even sure if that's an option).  But those are OUR babies.  It's not like egg or sperm donation.  This would be our baby!  I'm not sure I can do that.  But are they better off in a freezer?  The ethical dilema is mounting. 

So what to do?  Wait.  I'm sure that a year from now I'll have more clarity about what I want to do.  For now $360 a year to keep our options open is a small price to pay.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed! We are going to keep paying our storage fee ($700 per year) until we are positive. We've got 9 snow babies left and I am with you-i just can't give them to another couple because they are 100% my children. I have thought about donating them to science (I know I know...this is a big ethical debate waiting to happen) but it beats destroying them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had to fill out on the paperwork we did what we do with our in the event of one opf us dying, or if we choose not to use them. We chose to donate, there are too many couple struggling not to do it. What we don't know, wont hurst us...but anybody willing to go through the process of getting donated embies is going to love those babies. You could also donate to science, but that is kind of freaky. I personally would have a hard time destroying, considered they are fertilized eggs....you'll figure it out in the next year. xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete