Saturday, November 28, 2009

Waiting, waiting, a waiting room

My mom came with me to Shady Grove this morning for my first monitoring appt. since it's day 2 of my period.  Usually these appointments take 15 minutes, 20 at the most.  Today I was there for over 2 hours!!!  There was not a seat in the place and people were sitting on the floor.  From what I understand it was a caused by a few things like one of the other offices being closed (for the holiday weekend, I guess?) and something about the techs not getting there act together.  Whatever.  It's not like we have any choice about it - I mean no one could exactly leave, so we all just waited.  I was happy to have my mom there with me, although I felt bad that she had to sit there.

One of the cool things about just sitting there is that I got to talk to some other women about their infertility experience.  I said out loud to my mom that no one there was in as bad shape as i am.  There is some kind of crazy, totally messed up pride in being the best at something and I am the best IVF failure.  Warped, i know.  Anyway, so this girl was telling me her story and she is starting her first IVF and I was so happy to be able to give her tips about everything.  People are so anxious about all the needles.  If only that was the worst part.  The shots are easy.  The blood draws suck pretty badly...especially when my veins scar and then it really, really hurts.  By far the most painful for me of all.  And the one lady knows how to get through the scars but the rest of the techs don't and ouch! 

Anyway, i got off track.

So since everyone had been waiting forever, we all talked and that was nice for a change.  Usually everyone just sits there silent as if we don't all know that we all have some sort of infertility issue.  I like talking to others and either learning from them or helping them understand the process.  So that was good...

They found a cyst on my right ovary and said that depending on what my blood work looked like they may have to postpone the cycle to allow my ovary to settle down.  Turns out it wasn't an estrogen producing ovary so we started shots tonight.  150 of Gonal-F, 150 of Menopur.  We'll do 300 of Gonal-F in the morning too.  That's a lot, I know.  I need a lot cause my ovaries are uncooperative.

And so we're off onto cycle 5 and all is good.  I'm a little nervous about running out of meds, but I need to take it one day at a time.  I need to remember that there are plenty of people who don't have any insurance coverage and our having to pay a couple thousand dollars (even at Christmas) is not the end of the world.  Looks like the earliest my pregnancy test would be is the 26th but more likely a couple days later.  If it is the 26th, I may postpone it (and that would be soooo hard to do) so that I can spend more time in Buffalo with the family.  We'll see...

1 comment:

  1. You're right on...those waiting rooms are usually pretty stiff...thats cool that you got to 'bond' with some other women there....sorry the wait was so long though. Glad you had your mama with you. Moms are the best!! (I have mine with me these days and its making things better for sure!)
    Thinking all positive thoughts for you!! xx